Raising socially conscious kids who care about the Earth and its resources can be a daunting challenge. After all, we’re all pretty much making this up as we go along. We are the first generation of people that has looked to the future and actually taken responsibility for it. It’s both a burden and a wonderful opportunity.
So how do we pass along the values of sustainability and conservation? Leading by example is essential, but here are a few other ideas to help your family GO GREEN:
· Foster Curiosity. Plant a vegetable garden, install a bird feeder, explain the circle of life, and celebrate nature at every opportunity.
· Get Outdoors. Walk whenever possible, go camping, have picnics, visit a local farm, and take a trip to a National Park.
· Holistic Helpers. Get kids involved in recycling, compost, picking up litter, turning off lights, and other eco-friendly habits.
· Conserve with Creativity. Do you know how many things you can make out of cardboard? Save materials, which you would normally trash or recycle, for craft time.
· Grow Green Together. Whether you’re reading a green book or playing with a green toy, going green should bring you closer together as a family. It’s only natural, isn’t it?
Learning Express offers many products that can make going green and whole lot of fun—items made from recycled or sustainable materials and science kits that foster curiosity about conservation, just to name a few. Look for our green toy icon in our catalogs (shown above) and check out the suggestions below. (NOTE: Availability may vary by store.)
by Green Toys, Inc.
60-Piece Unit Block Set
by Melissa & Doug
Tin Can Robot Kit
(made from recycled newspaper)
by International Arrivals
Eco-Kids Drinking Bottle
by Crocodile Creek